Friday, February 22, 2013

The Multiple Personality Mother In Law

We have all heard the cliched mother in law stories.  Well my mother in law is the one they are all written about.  No, seriously.  So, in needing to get our most recent beach trip venting, off my chest, you are going to get the shortened history.  Starting with our first big encounter, up until this most recent encounter.
   My mother in law is not a happy person.  She is two sided, two faced, and unmedicated, ignore the diagnosis, bi-polar manic depressive.  We are all convinced.  She is stuck in a teenager's frame of mind, and will not ever grow up.  She has to be the life of the party, or else.  The or else always being to everyone else's detriment.  She is one of those people, who even picks on and makes fun of her own pre-school granddaughter(which has almost gotten her punched or disowned more than a couple times.)  She is an over the top drama queen who has a self awarded WebMD degree.  She is that woman who stays bff's with all of the son's ex wives, and with all of the ex boyfriends and girlfriends of her granddaughter, grandson, and the cousins.  She is the lady who likes to think she has to always be the boss, boss everyone around, or that everything always has to be her idea.  She freaks out and has an anxiety attack before every family function(she has no control over her sisters or parents lives), and does not do well in big crowds.  She does not know how to make friends, which is why she doesn't have any, and if she actually gets her relatives to like her, she alienates them all.  She is an alcoholic, which she still hides from her parents, and has a coronary if at age 59, there is a beer in her house in a picture, or god forbid there is her own beer in a picture.  She will harrass you until you delete it.  She actually cares what people think of her every move, more so than what she cares about how those around her feel.  She is one of those rare gems, who truly has no filter.  Whatever rude, crass, or downright mean things come to her mind, actually fly out of her mouth.  There is no thinking before speaking with this one.  Thank goodness I was raised a southern lady with manners, and the ability to bite my tongue most of the time.  Big huge family fights and divisions occur when I do and have opened my mouth.  So I try my damndest to just keep it shut, for the sake of my husband.  Who would not have a relationship at all with her, if I had not encouraged it, and convinced him to forgive her for his childhood.  What was I thinking? Eeee gads! 

23 comments:

  1. I have heard sooo many horror stories of MIL and Before I hooked up with my husband i always thought about their family, you always wonder how there family really are... cause it matters alot! THANKFULLY my MIL is such a sweet sweet woman. So kind and thoughtful and just spreads soo much love all around. I guess i got lucky! HANG in there doll! I know you wanna scream and rip out your hair but it is something wrong in their life that they take it out on everyone else. Anyway!! im following you from the BLOG HOP! & i hope we can keep in touch and hope to have you follow me as well <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Mine is a character! She is good to us, but she is a fruitloop, lemme tell ya! Thanks for following! Yes definitely keep in touch, and I'm hopping over to follow now!

      Delete
  2. There are alternate ways of dealing with people like this! I've learned sooooooo much at the following boards:

    http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a4725/dealing_with_the_in_laws_and_foo_family_of_origin

    http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6728031/all_in_the_family

    http://www.daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com/

    My MIL is a wonderful, loving lady. MY mother, well that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That sux! I am sorry you had to grow up with that! Well yu appear to be doing an awesome job now! That is what matters , right?

      Delete
  3. mine is whackadoodle with some of her ideas and so negative she has to find the negative in every situation, but at least she's not intentionally mean! wow, what a horrible way to live! I hope you can protect yourself and your family from her crap!

    (did you know your captcha is still turned on?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not , thank you mam! She is a character, she is good to us, but then I swear she is like Jeckyll and Hide!

      Delete
  4. We no longer communicate with my husband's mother. It has been a delightful 6 years without lies, manipulations, threats, drama, and nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...just to imagine! But I do want my baby to know her only grandmother! So we hang in there...

      Delete
  5. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I look forward to reading more.

    You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it sounds like your holidays are never boring :) I've been there, and learned my husband has to deal with his family, I don't. I hope it gets better for you. I found your blog through the Aloha Fridays hop and am following through GFC. Have a good weekend!

    lork
    www.lifewithraisapain.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does for the most part, but your absolutely right, hoidays are NEVER boring! Welcome, thanks for following, and Playing catch up hopping now!

      Delete
  7. My MIL is one of the sweetest people I've met, but I think she gets a little jealous that I'm here with her only on an island five thousand miles away from home. I found you via the blog hop, and I'm your newest follower. You should stop by my part of the internet sometime: http://penpaperpad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome ! I will! I am sooo jealous, can I be your kid? I am well trained, will cook and clean for you, keep your house spotless, and I come with a lawn and house repair guy, and the funniest lil toddler you have ever seen! Hah!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your mother-in-law is so unhappy and treats people so badly.

    I hopped over form WSM blog hop.

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, I know right? LOve the title of your blog! I have both! HeeHee!

      Delete
  9. New to your blog--love it! www.pamrobbinsruns.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been nominated for a Liebster Award! Check it out here: http://mychillthoughts.blogspot.com/2013/03/recognition-encouragement-and-paying-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am a new follower from the mingle! Look forward to getting to know you more. Would love a follow back :).

    http://cumminslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete